Open Firefox from read-only media
Firefox Live let you open Firefox from read-only media as CD, DVD or .dmg. Suggested from FreeSMUG user, as Firefox doesn't support running directly from read-only media, solution (as Firefox Portable win edition) is setting the profile folder to the local user's temp directory. This folder will be deleted when user log out.
- FirefoxLiveOSX_3.6_r4.1.dmg (19.4MB) English English
Requires OS X 10.4 or later.
- Clicking "Firefox Live" will open Firefox from your read-only device, wait a while before Firefox start.
- If a local copy of Firefox is running an alert window allow you to quit it. (Can be disabled.)
- An info window will inform you about temporary Profile folder path. (Can be disabled.)
- You can copy your local Profile folder to Firefox Live when "Copy local Profile" window ask you. (Can be enabled)
- Temporary Profile folder will be deleted when user log out.
|Portable Apps Lion Patch||This Patch will solve Mac OS X Lion 10.7 incompatibility of Portable Applications.|
Using your data
You can copy your local Profile folder to Firefox Live when "Copy local Profile" window ask you. So, if you wish to use your bookmarks, add-ons, history, personal data and preferences you already have on your system, just click "Copy" when prompt, and select the folder "/Users/<username>/Library/Applications Support/Firefox/Profiles/.default/" that you can burn on your read-only device.
This option is disabled but you can edit file: FirefoxLive.app/Contents/Resources/script before you burn your CD or DVD.
Change third from last line from "# copy_local_pref" to "copy_local_pref"
(that is removing # as comment). So you can have your custom profile folder on your read-only media and copy it when prompt.
- Watch fullscreen screenscast with notes
Download Firefox in your language from http://www.mozilla.org and copy it to:
"Portable Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/" folder.
- Watch fullscreen screenscast with notes.
You can edit file: FirefoxLive.app/Contents/Resources/script before you burn your CD or DVD to get:
|# comment this line to have multiple instances
# comment this line to avoid path info message
# uncomment this line to copy your profile folder
Post questions, tips, suggestions, clues, helps, bugs to our OS X Portable Apps support forum
- 3.6 r4.1(2010.03.21)
FirefoxLive is packaged using the Platypus script wrapper from http://sveinbjorn.vefsyn.is/platypus
FirefoxLive include CocoaDialog. CocoaDialog is Copyright © 2004, Mark A. Stratman <gro.smrotskrops|kram#gro.smrotskrops|kram>
It is licensed under the GNU General Public License. http://cocoadialog.sourceforge.net/
This software is licensed under the CC-GNU GPL.
Mozilla Firefox® provided is an unmodified version of official binaries downloaded from Mozilla.org licensed under:
MOZILLA FIREFOX END-USER SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT Version 3.0