|• (U) = Universal binaries||• (PPC) = PowerPC||• (x86) = Intel|
To display directories choose a section ^
Cooperative distribution file solution.
Quoted from: http://www.bittorrent.com/introduction.html
What is BitTorrent?
BitTorrent is a free speech tool.
BitTorrent gives you the same freedom to publish previously enjoyed by only a select few with special equipment and lots of money. ("Freedom of the press is limited to those who own one" — journalist A.J. Liebling.)
You have something terrific to publish — a large music or video file, software, a game or anything else that many people would like to have. But the more popular your file becomes, the more you are punished by soaring bandwidth costs. If your file becomes phenomenally successful and a flash crowd of hundreds or thousands try to get it at once, your server simply crashes and no one gets it.
There is a solution to this vicious cycle. BitTorrent, the result of over two years of intensive development, is a simple and free software product that addresses all of these problems.
The key to scaleable and robust distribution is cooperation. With BitTorrent, those who get your file tap into their upload capacity to give the file to others at the same time. Those that provide the most to others get the best treatment in return. ("Give and ye shall receive!")
Cooperative distribution can grow almost without limit, because each new participant brings not only demand, but also supply. Instead of a vicious cycle, popularity creates a virtuous circle. And because each new participant brings new resources to the distribution, you get limitless scalability for a nearly fixed cost.
BitTorrent is not just a concept, but has an easy-to-use implementation capable of swarming downloads across unreliable networks. BitTorrent has been embraced by numerous publishers to distribute to millions of users.
With BitTorrent free speech no longer has a high price.
Ctrl+clik to customize toolbar.
A Macintosh BitTorrent client.
Quoted from: http://sarwat.net/bittorrent/
The main goal of this project was to separate the BitTorrent code from the Macintosh code, so that either can be updated without having to modify the other. I got 80% of the download window’s current functionality implemented within 3 days of starting the project. Then I decided to finish “just a bit more,” and the project just kept getting bigger and bigger.
- Built on BitTorrent 4.2
- Remembers recent downloads and where you’ve saved them to, making resumes quick and easy
- Displays useful download statistics
- Supports AppleScript
- User interface for torrent generation allows you to specify torrent comments
- User interface for starting a torrent tracker on your Mac
- Most BitTorrent options are fully customizable
Java BitTorrent client.
Quoted from: http://azureus.sourceforge.net/
Click Images To Enlarge
Azureus is a java bittorrent client. It provides a bittorrent protocol implementation using java language.
Azureus offers multiple torrent downloads, queuing/priority systems (on torrents and files), start/stop seeding options and instant access to numerous pieces of information about your torrents.
Azureus now features an embedded tracker easily set up and ready to use. Azureus team need more beta-testers with dual-cpu macs to test kernel panic fixes. Please download latest cvs and come to irc channel to discuss results.
Fast, efficient, low CPU-use BitTorrent client.
Quoted form: http://transmission.m0k.org/
Transmission is a free BitTorrent client written from scratch in C. It aims to be as efficient as possible. It runs on Mac OS X, BeOS, Linux and NetBSD (and probably on other UNIX-like systems too).
Light client still in beta with some nice features based on libtorrent library.
Quoted from: http://www.bitrocket.org/
BitRocket is a Native(Open Source) BitTorrent client for Mac OS X. At the heart of it's core resides the powerful libtorrent BitTorrent library.
BitRocket is aimed to be a good alternative to other Mac OS BitTorrent clients.
- RSS support (Download .torrent's from within the application)
- Integrated (Customizable) Search Engine
- Flexible Filtering
- Torrent Generator
- Live Info View
- UPnP and NAT-PMP Port Forwarding
The lighter bittorent client
Quoted from: http://sourceforge.net/projects/btpd-front/
btpd-front is a simple btpd front-end. Btpd is the acronym for BitTorrent Protocol Daemon.
btpd-front is made for a complete and easy tune-up and use of BTPD and for a light use of the BitTorrent protocol.
BitTorrent client that is optimized for fast download performance.
Quoted from: http://bittyrant.cs.washington.edu/
- Fast – During evaluation testing on more than 100 real BitTorrent swarms, BitTyrant provided an average 70% download performance increase when compared to the existing Azureus 2.5 implementation, with some downloads finishing more than three times as quickly.
- Fair – BitTorrent was designed with incentives in mind: if a user is downloading at 30 KBps, they should upload at 30 KBps. However, due to the unique workload properties of many real-world swarms, this is not always enforced. BitTyrant is designed to make efficient use of your scarce upload bandwidth, rewarding those users whose upload allocations are fair and only allocating excess capacity to other users.
- Familiar – BitTyrant is based on modifications to Azureus 2.5, currently the most popular BitTorrent client. All of our changes are under the hood. You’ll find the GUI identical to Azureus, with optional additions to display statistics relevant to BitTyrant’s operation.
Mod of the popular ABC BitTorrent Client
Quoted from: http://code.google.com/p/lh-abc/
LH-ABC is a mod of the popular ABC BitTorrent Client and extends it with useful features such as:
- RSS feeder
- Web search
- Directory scanner
- Command scheduler
- More flexible UI
- Core improvements
- And much more!
Apple UNIX & Open Source download page.
List of open-source software for Mac OS X.
A simple list of free, open-source software for Mac OS X.
List of OS X Applications Open Source filtered.